2 Killed in New Zealand Shooting Before World Cup Begins (2023)











Deadly Shooting in Auckland Before Women’s World Cup

Prime Minister Chris Hipkins of New Zealand said that there was no national security risk after the shooting and that the games would proceed as planned.

This morning at 7:23 a.m., a witness called police to report a man with a gun, shooting in central Auckland at a building on lower Queen Street. At 7:34 a.m., police arrived on the scene, and the Armed Offenders Squad arrived there four minutes later. The offender was armed with a pump-action shotgun. He moved through the building site, discharging the firearm as he went. Upon reaching the upper levels of the building, the man contained himself in an elevator. Shots were fired, and he was located a short time later. The assessment from officials is that there is no national security risk. There is no change to New Zealand’s national security threat level. Clearly, with the FIFA World Cup kicking off this evening, there are a lot of eyes on Auckland. The government has spoken to FIFA organisers this morning, and the tournament will proceed as planned. I want to reiterate that there is no wider national security threat. This appears to be the actions of one individual.

2 Killed in New Zealand Shooting Before World Cup Begins (1)

By Juliet Macur,Andrew Das and Yan Zhuang

Reporting from Auckland, New Zealand, and Sydney, Australia

July 19, 2023, 6:12 p.m. ET

July 19, 2023, 6:12 p.m. ET

At least two people were killed and five others injured after a gunman stormed a building under construction in Auckland, New Zealand, early Thursday, hours before the first soccer match of the Women’s World Cup was scheduled to begin in the city.

The gunman was later killed, the police said at a news conference on Thursday afternoon. They also said that a police officer was among those injured; he was taken to a hospital in critical condition, and his condition had stabilized.

The authorities have not identified the gunman, but the police said he was believed to have been 24 years old and had worked at the construction site where the shooting occurred.

The police commissioner, Andrew Coster, said that the gunman’s motive was believed to have been “connected to his work at the site.” He was under a home detention order but had permission to be at the construction site. He was known to police because he had a history of domestic violence, Mr. Coster said, adding that there had also been “some indications of mental health history.”

He did not possess a firearms license for the shotgun he used, the authorities said.

The New Zealand Herald also reported that he appeared before a local court in March on charges including assaulting a woman and injuring with intent to injure, and had been ordered to wear an electronic monitoring ankle bracelet.


2 Killed in New Zealand Shooting Before World Cup Begins (2)

The shooting occurred as teams from New Zealand and Norway were set to play at 7 p.m. local time at Eden Park Stadium, about three miles from the site of the shooting. Several World Cup teams and many fans are staying in Auckland’s central business district, and the shooting occurred very close to Norway’s team hotel and near a fan festival set up for the tournament.

The United States team, which will play its first game of the tournament in Auckland against Vietnam in two days, is also staying in the area. The teams from Norway and the U.S. said their players and staff were safe and their preparations would proceed as usual.

New Zealand’s match against Norway on Thursday night began on a somber note: a moment of silence for the victims of the shooting. Players from both teams gathered at midfield, and New Zealand’s reserves and coaching staff left their dugout to stand on the touchline in solidarity.

A minute of silence will also be observed at the match between Australia and Ireland on Thursday night, FIFA said in a statement.

The New Zealand Police began receiving reports of a person firing a gun inside the construction site at about 7:22 a.m. local time, Mr. Coster said.

The police said after an armed man entered the high-rise building — which was occupied by dozens of construction workers — on lower Queen Street, he opened fire on the third floor, and made his way through the 21-story building, shooting as he went.

Passers-by and commuters heard the volley of gunshots during the morning rush hour. Armed police officers and vehicles swarmed the area, and the authorities shut down parts of the city.

The shooting took place in a busy downtown area crowded with office buildings and hotels across the street from a ferry terminal on the city’s waterfront.

New Zealand’s prime minister, Chris Hipkins, said at a news conference that the shooter had been armed with a pump-action shotgun and that it appeared he had acted alone.


Within minutes, scores of police officers carrying automatic weapons descended on the site, warning people to take cover and ushering them out of the area. Streets were closed in a two-block area, and a police helicopter hovered overhead. Officers pursued the gunman to the upper floors, and, once there, an exchange of gunfire — audible on the street below the tower — ensued.

The police confronted the gunman in an elevator shaft where he had barricaded himself, and tried to engage with him, the police said.

“The offender fired at police, injuring an officer,” the police said. “Shots were exchanged, and the offender was later found deceased.”

Mr. Coster said he was unsure if the gunman had been killed by the police.

Construction workers, many of whom hid in the building during the shooting, were released hours later, and the police cleared the building.

Mr. Hipkins said the Women’s World Cup would proceed as planned. FIFA, soccer’s global governing body and the organizer of the tournament, said its top leaders had communicated with the New Zealand authorities and that the organization was “in constant contact with the participating teams affected by this incident.”

At a second news conference on Thursday afternoon, he said that the authorities would conduct a review of the handling of the suspect while he was in home detention, and whether there were any red flags about his behavior.

Asked whether the attack showed a failure of New Zealand’s strict gun laws, he said that the authorities needed to investigate how the gunman obtained the firearm “before we make any judgment on the robustness or otherwise of our gun laws.”


Norway’s players were all in their hotel during the shooting; some were still asleep, but local news reports said a few had come down for breakfast in a dining room just off the ground-floor lobby. As the police moved to close off access to the area around the shooting, security guards asked members of the Norway delegation to stay inside the hotel, according to Lise Klaveness, the president of Norway’s soccer federation.

“Everything is calm in the Norwegian squad,” Halvor Lea, a spokesman for the Norway women’s team, said in a statement. “Preparations are going as normal.”

In another statement, Maren Mjelde, the captain of the Norway team, said many players most likely had woken up to the sound of a helicopter outside and the emergency vehicles that had arrived out front.

“We felt safe the whole time,” she said.

This was the first major shooting in New Zealand since the country banned most semiautomatic rifles in 2019, after 51 people were killed when a white supremacist opened fire on Muslims praying in two mosques in Christchurch.

Days after that shooting, Jacinda Ardern, the prime minister at the time, announced a temporary ban on most semiautomatic weapons, and a monthslong gun buyback and amnesty program began. Later that year, a sweeping nationwide ban went into effect.

Even before then, gun ownership was relatively rare in New Zealand, and gun violence is considered unusual. But in 1997, six people were killed and four others injured in the North Island town of Raurimu.

And in 1990, a gunman in the small seaside township of Aramoana killed 13 people and injured three others before he was shot dead by the police. The shootings led to a 1992 amendment to the regulations on military-style semiautomatic weapons.

Juliet Macur and Andrew Das reported from Auckland, New Zealand, and Yan Zhuang from Sydney, Australia. Tariq Panja contributed reporting from Sydney, Australia.

Andrew Das joined The Times in 2006. An assistant editor in Sports, he helps direct coverage of soccer, the Olympics and international sports. More about Andrew Das

Yan Zhuang is a reporter in The New York Times's Australia bureau, based in Melbourne. More about Yan Zhuang

A version of this article appears in print on , Section


, Page


of the New York edition

with the headline:

Shooter Kills At Least 2, Marring World Cup. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe



Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Saturnina Altenwerth DVM

Last Updated: 27/07/2023

Views: 5793

Rating: 4.3 / 5 (44 voted)

Reviews: 91% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Saturnina Altenwerth DVM

Birthday: 1992-08-21

Address: Apt. 237 662 Haag Mills, East Verenaport, MO 57071-5493

Phone: +331850833384

Job: District Real-Estate Architect

Hobby: Skateboarding, Taxidermy, Air sports, Painting, Knife making, Letterboxing, Inline skating

Introduction: My name is Saturnina Altenwerth DVM, I am a witty, perfect, combative, beautiful, determined, fancy, determined person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.